Hypnosis Helps IBS Sufferers – News Note

Cover of "Relief from IBS"

Hypnosis can relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for at least five years, according to findings published in the November issue of Gut. While several studies in recent years have proven hypnotherapy provides short-term relief from IBS, which affects nearly 12 percent of the U.S. population, the new study proves long-term benefits — great news for those who experience the diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, lethargy, and bloating associated with the condition.

More than 200 IBS patients received 12 weekly, one-hour hypnotherapy sessions that included individualized ego-strengthening suggestions and image-based suggestions to induce warmth in the abdomen. Subjects were also given an audiotape for home practice. Immediately after the 12-week treatment and up to six years later, patients completed a questionnaire to measure symptoms, including quality of life issues such as anxiety and depression. Researchers concluded that 71 percent of patients enjoyed significant benefits from hypnotherapy and 81 percent of those maintained improvement during the 5- to 6-year time span. The remaining 19 percent of those who originally benefited from the treatment reported that symptoms only got slightly worse.

The study is especially relevant as conventional medicine has had great difficulty in relieving IBS symptoms, and currently less than 10 percent of patients are offered or educated about psychological treatments.

By Lara Evans Bracciante
Originally published in Massage & Bodywork magazine, April/May 2004.
Copyright 2003. Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals. All rights reserved.


The Hands of Faith Holistic Healing Centers into a peaceful retreat that offers a variety of healing modalities including, Naturopathy, Digestive Health/Enzyme Nutrition, Therapeutic Massage, and Energy Healing. We specialize in Detoxification/Anti-aging issues, and will work with any patient who is looking to optimize their health and get to the bottom on their chronic illness. Whether you are seeking help with a specific condition or unexplained symptoms, we will provide you with a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan to return you to optimal health. We would be honored if you would allow us to assist you along your healing journey.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: